If using a removal company it's a good idea to get several quotes, you can opt for their packing service to save time and effort. They turn up and do it all for you!
However if you decide to pack yourself here are some useful tips to make the move as stress free as possible:
What you'll need:
- Bubble wrap/ newspaper
- Cling film
- Boxes of all different sizes (look on-line for specialised suppliers)
- Marker Pen
- Start early!
- De-clutter; don't pay to have unwanted items moved.
- Pack any non-essential items first.
- Label the boxes with the room you want them to go in.
- Think about what will go in each room and pack items together.
- Split heavy items up and pack them with lighter items so that boxes aren't too heavy.
- Pack plants in a suitable ventilated box. Stand them on dampened newspaper to provide moisture whilst on the move.
- Keep all wiring and connections together with each appliance.
- Ask your VET for advice about moving pets.
The day before:
- Defrost the fridge / freezer.
- Check the Internet for a local takeaway at your new destination - you may need it at the end of a long moving day!
- Pack a box with important documentation such as passports, medical card, bank details etc. and keep with you.
- Pack a box of essential items such as toilet rolls, medicines, tea, coffee, milk, sugar and biscuits, label and keep with you in your own car for easy access when you arrive at you own property or make sure it's the last box loaded so will be the first off the truck at your new home.
- Count the boxes before they are loaded and again when they are delivered to the new address.
- Don't try to do all your unpacking at once, just unpack the essentials and make sure there is somewhere comfortable to sit, eat and sleep.